The Immaculate Conception Church of Iron Mountain MI was built in 5 months
by a dedicated priest and his parishioners at a cost of $4,000.
Listed on the National and State Historic Registers.
In 1902, a subscription drive was started to raise funds for a new church. This was accomplished by arranging the families of the parish by their native provinces in Italy. In hardly an hour, $3,655.00 was subscribed. On June 24, 1902, ground was broken for the construction of a new church by Father Sinopoli himself when he began to dig the foundation. The workers worked on the church even after their already hard days in the iron mines of the area.
Father Sinopoli, always present, served as an inspiration and guide. He was the engineer, the architect, manual bricklayer, parish pastor and priest always on the site to direct, assist and design. While construction was in progress, Mr. Brown, superintendent of the Pewabic Mine, sent laborers to the church to help build it and paid them himself. Although he was not Catholic, he donated many timbers for the church from his mine. Mr. Carlo Novara and Mr. Domenic Brosio donated much of their labor as masons. Most of the workers, men of the parish, would donate a day or two of work each week.
Mostly miners, the men quarried and hauled sandstone with horse and wagon for the walls from a nearby site almost a mile south. They erected unusual timber trusses which support the barrel-vaulted ceiling, and the wooden roof. The overall effect of the church building, which has not changed significantly since its original construction, is that it is well made and created with loving care. The site in town where the stone was quarried is still recognizable.
In five short months, came a beautiful and magnificent House of Worship! Many hands and hearts labored to make a dream a reality. What was to be a simple parish church to meet the spiritual needs of the Italians living in Iron Mountain became a building that was to become a monument demonstrating the civility and pride of the Italians to their neighbors, while reminding them of the old country. (This paragraph from the successful application for the National Register of Historic Places)
Copyright 2002 by Vivian Wood, the webmaster for Exploring the North, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended, this web site may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner. Unless authorized by the webmaster of Exploring the North, Inc., reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on this website for placement on the internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in and to the material on our web pages, the web site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and the urls contained within, is the property of the webmaster for Exploring the North, Inc. All website design, text, graphics, selection and arrangement thereof are the copyrighted works of Vivian Wood. Web site created on an Apple G-4