Named Lake Glimmerglass by
William Hulbert -
Nearly three miles long and a mile wide, this spring-fed lake, with charted depths over 450 feet, is home to a variety of fish including smallmouth bass, northern pike, perch and rock bass. Boat motors are restricted to 10 horsepower to preserve its quiet and serene qualities.
The discovery of Hulbert Lake and its surrounding sandy shores happened somewhat by chance. While on a timber cruising expedition during the winter of 1873, Francis R. Hulbert came across the promising parcel of land.
As he scouted the wooded area, he discovered numerous white pines, birch and maple trees lining the edges of the isolated frozen lake that he called Be-ne-gah-mah. The mighty white pines, in particular, drew his interest for their commercial value, and the dry land with high banks surrounding the Lake were ideally suited for the development of homesites.
Continuing his cold journey through the woods with only a compass to guide him and snowshoes to support him across waist-deep snow, he soon discovered another set of tracks. The snowshoe tracks crossed over his and led northwest toward the shores of lake Superior.
Following along the shoreline afforded his fellow timber cruiser with the quickest route. Francis Hulbert carefully considered all the possible routes and settled on a slightly longer course that would avoid the risk of being discovered. Even the remnants of a snowshoe track would threaten his chances and cause his competitor to quicken his pace. Carrying minimal provisions and traveling in a pair of leather moccasins strapped to his snow shoes, he tirelessly blazed a trail across frozen swamps and through ice covered thickets. He stopped only briefly to rest, knowing that the other timber cruiser possibly had the advantage by a full days travel. With feet blistered and sore, he arrived in Marquette first and acquired the land.
Francis R. Hulbert never built the home sites he had envisioned or cut any of the trees on his property. Most of the property was lost during the financial panic of 1893. Following his death in 1896, the Hulbert family lost title to the land, which was then purchased by lumbering entrepreneur A.M. Chesbrough in 1897.
Over time, Richard C. Hulbert, Francis' son, and Chesbrough became friends and partners in the timber brokerage and lumbering business. Eventually, Chesbrough gave R. C. Hulbert a half interest in the land.
Then, with the same pioneer spirit and vision of his father, R. C. Hulbert purchased the remaining half interest and title to the Lake, and its sandy shores once again returned to the Hulbert family.
After remaining in the Hulbert family for almost 60 years, this private lake and its well-known lodge and cabins today are owned by the Hulbert Lakes Club Association.
Hulbert Lake Lodge, Hulbert MI for lakefront cabin rentals and dining.
Copyright 2002 by Vivian Wood, the webmaster for Exploring the North, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended, this web site may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner. Unless authorized by the webmaster of Exploring the North, Inc., reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on this website for placement on the internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in and to the material on our web pages, the web site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and the urls contained within, is the property of vivian wood, the webmaster for Exploring the North, Inc.