in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
The name Keweenaw is from the Ojibiwas (Chippewas) meaning "Portage". The ancient Portage River and Portage Lake provided a natural water pathway across most of the Keweenaw Peninsula. The short portage at the north end was opened into a canal in the late 1800's. Ships could now travel through the Keweenaw Waterway instead of around the Peninsula and larger vessels could travel to Houghton and Hancock. The Keweenaw Waterway also provided a Harbor of Refuge to protect these vessels from Lake Superior's violent storms. Completion of the Keweenaw Waterway made the Keweenaw Peninsula an island rather than a peninsula.
In the mid-1800's the world's purest "native" copper was discovered in the Keweenaw. Mining of this rare native copper led to extensive development of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Many relics and ruins remain.
Copyright 1998 by Vivian Wood, webmaster. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended, this web site may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner. Unless authorized by the webmaster, reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on this website, www.exploringthenorth.com, for placement on the internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in and to the material on these web pages, the web site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and the urls contained within, is the property of the webmaster. All website design, text, graphics, selection and arrangement thereof are the copyrighted works of Vivian Wood. Web site created on an Apple G-4