Upper Peninsula Lighthouses
Open to the Public on Lake Michigan
and Lake Superior
Scenic Boat Tours of Off-Shore Lights
Great Lakes shipping and travel
shaped Michigan's history. Along the state's 3,200 miles of
shoreline, more than 2 dozen museums and historical sites
help preserve that maritime tradition.
Tour lighthouses that still
stand guard over treacherous shoals, and museums that tell
tales of tragic wrecks and valiant rescues. A ship,
permanently docked as a museum, provides glimpses of
sailors' lives and work. Visit this sampling of maritime
museums and discover others when you travel in Upper
Michigan. Museums are open for visitors during the summer
and for special
Click here for a Map
showing the location
of the lighthouses that are open to the public.
Scenic boat cruises offer views of some of the lighouses on islands and reefs in Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
Take an Upper Peninsula
Lighthouse Tour and visit these historic Light
Sable Point Lighthouse and Maritime
- Pictured Rocks National
Lakeshore, Munising, MI 49862. Phone: (906) 387-2607 or
Harbor Lighthouse and
- Fort Wilkins State Park,
East US-41, Copper Harbor, Ml 49918 on the Keweenaw
Peninsula. Can be reached only by the ferry boat that
leaves from the marina several times during the day.
- Phone: (906)
North of Newberry, MI at the site of the old Crisp's Point
Lifesaving Station. Only the Tower remains and it is open on
weekends during the summer for climbing.Take CR-500 north
from M-123 to CR-412. Follow CR-412 to the Lighthouse. Watch
for signs. Gravel road through the wilderness. Photo at top
of this page.
Located 1 mile off-shore at the mouth of the St. Mary's
River in northern Lake Huron, between DeTour Village and
Drummond Island in the far Eastern Upper Peninsula, this
light was built in 1931 to replace the 1861 DeTour Point
Light Station. The 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens is on display at
the DeTour Passage Historical Museum in DeTour Village. 2 hour guided,
narrated tour of the Light on Saturdays or Sundays in June,
July, and August.
Volunteer light keepers
weekends available during the summer. *
St. Mary's River Lighthouse Cruise from DeTour Village
to Sault Ste. Marie on Fathers Day. Return to
DeTour Village by bus that evening.
Harbor Light Station and Museum
This is a major haunted lighthouse. Read a
hand account by a
Lighthouse Museum, Maritime Museum, Commercial Fishing
Museum, plus much more. Star Route I,
Eagle Harbor, MI 49950 on the
Keweenaw Peninsula. Phone:
Marquette Harbor Lighthouse
Marquette, MI. Built in 1853 and now open for tours. Stop at
the Maritime Museum across the street for tour information.
300 Lakeshore Boulevard. Marquette, MI 49855. Phone:
906-226-2006. Open third week in May through October.
Ontonagon County Historical Museum
422 River Street. Ontonagon, MI 49953. Phone:
Lighthouse Tours daily at 11 am, 2 pm, & 4 pm
Monday-Saturday and 2 pm on Sunday during the summer or by
appointment during the off-season. Stop at the Historical
Museum on River Road. Lantern Room open for climbing with an
awesome view of Lake Superior and the Porcupine Mountains.
5th Order Fresnel Lens and keepers logs on display at the
Museum. Gift Shop.
Iroquois Lighthouse and Maritime
- Bay Mills Township, Hiawatha
National Forest. Lakeshore Drive just west of Brimley, MI
- Sault Ste. Marie Ranger
Office, 4000 I-75 Business Spur. Sault Ste. Marie, Ml
49783 Phone: (906) 635-5311, (906) 437-5272. Climb the
tower for a wonderful view and possible freighters
passing. Gift Shop
Now converted to a Bed and Breakfast
Five Mile Point Road. Ahmeek, Ml 49901. Phone:
25 miles north of Houghton on the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Tours daily at 3 pm. Grounds
open from noon to 4pm.
Sand Point Lighthouse Baraga, MI. Located on Keweenaw Bay in Lake Superior, the keepers dwelling has been recently restored to its original beauty by the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community. The dwelling is not open but visitors are welcome to tour the grounds.
Lighthouses on Lake
Point Light and the Great Lakes Shipwreck
- 110 Whitefish Point
Road. Paradise, MI
(906) 635-1742 (summer &
- (906) 492-3436 (summer
Listed from east to
Seul Choix Lighthouse and Sand Point Lighthouse are open for visitors.
- Naubinway Island Light is on
a small island about 1 mile offshore in Lake Michigan
surrounded by rocks and shoals. Established in 1931 to
guide local vessels into the harbor at Naubinway.
Original skeleton tower renoved and replaced by white
cylindrical tower. Active light.
Choix Lighthouse, Park and
and maintained byThe Gulliver Historical
Society. RR 1, Box
79. Gulliver, MI
49840. Phone: 906-283-3183. Climb the tower for an
awewome view of Lake Michigan. Gift Shop
MANISTIQUE EAST BREAKWATER LIGHT.
This picturesque red lighthouse is on the end of the
breakwater at the east end of the harbor where the
Manistique River flows into Lake Michigan. It can be
conveniently viewed from the Boardwalk or the Park near the
Harbor and Marina.
PENINSULA POINT LIGHTHOUSE TOWER and PARK
Forest at the southern tip of the Stonington
Peninsula. Tower is open for climbing and there is
a nice picnic area. The Minneapolis Shoal Light can
be seen on a clear day.
South of Rapid River on
CR-513 about 17 miles. RV's and tall vehicles need
to park at the parking lot and walk about 1 mile to
the lighthouse as the road goes through a tunnel of
SAND POINT LIGHTHOUSE and
MUSEUM at the edge of Ludington Park, Escanaba, MI
Restored to original condition by the Delta County
Open to the public fromJune 1-Sept.1 (9-5 EST), during
September (1-4 EST)
Mary Terry, one of the first women keepers on the Great
Lakes, kept this light from 1868 to 1886.
Sand Point Lighthouse. P.O. Box 1776. Escanaba, Michigan
49829. Phone: (906) 786-3763
CEDAR RIVER LIGHTHOUSE
Cedar River Range
Lights were located at the mouth of the Cedar
River. The Front Range was buily in 1889 and the
Rear Range built in 1891. Both lighthouses were
square pyramidal wood skeletal towers and have been
The Keepers Dwelling, a
1 & 1/2 story brick and wood structure and the
old oil house survive and are privately owned.
MENOMINEE NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT
Menominee North Pierhead Light was built in 1927
and is a red tower with a black lantern mounted on
a concrete platform. You can walk on the pier out
to the lighthouse in good weather, but the
lighthouse is closed to visitors.
This is an active light
marking the harbor.
PESHTIGO REEF LIGHTHOUSE
Located 10 miles south of Marinette at the
mouth of the Peshtigo River. The Lighthouse is 3
miles offshore on a trecherous reef and can only be
seen by boat.
TOURS and LIGHTHOUSE CRUISES to view Off-Shore Lights
DeTour Reef Light is located in
the St. Mary's River between DeTour Village and Drummond
Island. The DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society is restoring
this light and offers 2 hour guided, narrated tours on
Saturday or Sunday during June, July, and August. Phone 906-493-6609 or e-mail
Here for dates,
prices, and times of departure. Lighthouse Keeper Program. St. Mary's River Cruise from Detour Village
to Sault Ste. Marie on Fathers Day. Return
that evening by bus to De Tour Village.
Sand Point Charters, Keweenaw Peninsula, offers Lighthouse Cruises, Charter Fishing, and Scenic Tours on Lake Superior. Boats leave from Lac La Belle, 40 miles north of Houghton/Hancock for a wonderful day or ½ day on the water. Fish for Lake Trout, view the offshore lighthouses, or take a relaxing cruise along the beautiful shoreline of the Keweenaw Peninsula. The Lighthouse Cruise includes the Gull Rock Lighthouse, Mendota Lighthousem and the Manitou Island Light. A custom cruise can be arranged to view the Granite Island Light, Stannard Rock Light, the Huron Island Lighthouse and the lighthouses on Isle Royale. Captain Brian Helminen has over 35 years of boating and fishing experience and the boats are DNR inspected and approved and equipped with essential fishing equipment and USCG approved safety gear. Phone 906-370-2257.
Gull Rock Lighthouse
Stannard Rock Lighthouse
* * * * *
Superior Odyssey Sailing Cruise on Lake Superior, Marquette, MI. Superior Odyssey offers a variety of sailing adventures from a 2 hour local sail around Marquette to a two-day trip to the Pictured Rocks or the Huron Islands. Sail on the Historic 6 passenger Schooner Coaster II on majestic Lake Superior. The 58' Coaster II has sailed the oceans and offers a safe sail with a competent crew. Custom trips available for special events. Photograph the Marquette Lighthouse and the Granite Island Lighthouse from offshore. Located at the Lower Harbor in Marquette. Phone: 906-361-3668
LIGHTS THAT CAN BE SEEN FROM YOUR CAR OR WITH A SHORT STROLL.
There are also many lighthouses
on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan that you can easily see
from your car but they are not open to the public. Some of
the off-shore Lighthouses in Lake Superior can be seen by
MUNISING FRONT and REAR RANGE LIGHTS on LAKE SUPERIOR
Located on M-28 on the west side of
The Lighthouse has been purchased by the
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
CHRISTMAS MICHIGAN FRONT and REAR RANGE LIGHTS
Also called the Grand Island West Lights or the
"End of the Road"
Highway M-28 on the east side of
GRAND ISLAND EAST CHANNEL LIGHTHOUSE
Built in 1867, this lighthouse an be viewed
Shipwreck Tour or the Pictured Rocks
The lighthouse is located on private
on Grand Island.
BIG BAY POINTE LIGHTHOUSE
Located on Lake Superior, 23 miles northwest
of Marquette. This light was established in 1896
and automated in 1945. The Big Bay Pointe
Lighthouse is now privately owned, but may be
viewed from the road.
Built in 1870, the Mendota Lighthouse is located across from Bete Gris near Lac La Belle, in the Keweenaw Peninsula. The Lighthouse guided ships into the Mendota Ship Canal. There is no public access as this lighthouse is privately owned.
||EAGLE RIVER LIGHTHOUSE
The Eagle River Light Station was first established in 1854 on a bluff at the mouth of the Eagle River and once guided ships into this busy shipping port. With the dangerous Sawtooth Reef offshore, this lighthouse was very important during the copper boom with tons of copper shipped from the nearby Cliff Mine. The original lighthouse fell into repair and was rebuilt in 1874 and housed a 6th order Fresnel Lens. The light was deactivated in 1908 as the copper boom at Cliff Mine came to an end. Unfortunately, the Sand Hills Light Station a few miles west of Eagle River at 5 mile point was not constructed until 1917 and at least 10 ships were lost on Sawtooth Reef located off the shoreline at Eagle River. The Sand HIlls Lighthouse is privately owned and is a Bed and Breakfast Inn.
PORTAGE ENTRY EAST LIGHT, also called the Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light is located on a concrete pier by the town of Jacobsville, on the north side of Portage Lake. This light can be viewed from Jacobsville or the Portage Entry Roads south of Chassell.
The Portage River (Jacobsville) Lighthouse was first lit in 1870 housing a fifth order Fresnel lens. It is located in the town of Jacobsville at the entrance from Lake Superior (Keweenaw Bay) to the Portage River. The light was deactivated in 1900 and replaced by the Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Pierhead Light. The lighthouse is still standing and is privately owned.
SAND POINT LIGHTHOUSE IN BARAGA. Located on Sand Point (Keweenaw Bay) one mile north of Baraga the lighthouse was built in 1887. The lighthouse is privately owned by the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community and not open for visitors, but visitors can walk on the grounds. Go north of Baraga on US-41 and turn right on the road past the Department of Natural Resources Building that goes to the Ojibwa Campground and follow the signs.
of open lighthouses
for more Information
MARQUETTE MARITIME MUSEUM, 300
Lakeshore Boulevard. Marquette, MI 49855. Phone:
906-226-2006. The museum showcases the history
of the areas shipping industry. Open the third week in May
through October. Guided tours of the Marquette Lighthouse.
Operational Fresnel Lens from Stannard Rock, one of the
largest lenses used on the Great Lakes. Edmund Fitzgerals
display. World War II Silent Service Memorial honoring USS
DARTER and USS DACE crews. Gift shop with maritime books,
CD's , videos, lighthouses, and nautical gifts.
EAGLE HARBOR MARITIME MUSEUM at the Eagle
Harbor Light Station. Open mid June
through mid October. Life boat from the Eagle Harbor Life
MUNISING COAST GUARD STATION MUSEUM
near the end of Sand Point Road in the Pictured Rocks
National Lakeshore has the 36' motor lifeboat, "Grand
Marais" on display in the old boathouse.
- Ghost Stories. Books about Michigan Ghosts by Jan Langley
- A Ghostly Road Tour of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. True Stories of Ghostly Hauntings in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan" by Jan Langley. Tour these interesting haunted places in the comfort of your chair or visit them when you are in the Upper Peninsula.
- Startled from their Graves: Ghosts of Michigan. Enjoy this exciting new collection of ghost stories from the thumb of Michigan's Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula. Take a journey to mysterious places where unusual happenings have occurred and spirits have been Startled from their Graves.
Back to Upper Peninsula
Page: Exploring the North
- Never bloomed the earth so
- Never shone the sun so
- As to-day they shine and
- When you come so far to see
- Never was our lake so
- Nor so free from rocks and
- For your birch canoe in
- Has removed both rock and
- Song of
Hiawatha W.W. Longfellow
Photos of Gull Rock, Manitou, Mendota, and Stannard Rock by Brian Helmenen, Sand Point Charters
Registered Copyright 1997
by Vivian Wood, webmaster. All Rights
Reserved. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of
1976, as amended, this web site may not be reproduced in
whole or in part in any manner. Unless authorized by the
webmaster, reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on
this website, www.exploringthenorth.com, for placement on
the internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title
and interest in and to the material on these web pages, the
web site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and
the urls contained within, is the property of the webmaster.
All website design, text, graphics, selection and
arrangement thereof are the copyrighted works of Vivian
Wood. Web site created on an Apple G-4