Lodging, Attractions, and
Recreation in Rapid River, Michigan,
Rapid River, MI
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Peninsula Point Lighthouse
by Little Bay de Noc, in the Upper Peninsula of
Rapid River, MI is a small town located at the mouth
of the Whitefish River on Highway US-2, 16 miles east of
Escanaba by Little Bay de Noc in Lake Michigan. The Hiawatha
National Forest is just east of town where you will find
hundreds of thousands of acres of public land for fishing,
hunting, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking, horseback
riding, wildlife watching, photography, ATVing, cross-country
skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling.
Cottages, Lodges, and Motels
Fishing, Real Estate, Guided Tours, and Boat Rentals
- LODGING and BUSINESS
Bay Getaway Motel, Highway US 2, Garden
Corners. Phone 906-644-2893. All rooms have view of Big
Bay de Noc. Sandy beach and swimming area on Lake
Michigan. Near Fayette. On the snowmobile and ATV trails.
Good fishing and hunting. Open year round. Pets with a
- The Blue House on the Lake Vacation Home is located 5 miles south of Rapid River with 250’ of waterfron on Little Bay de Noc (Lake Michigan). The home has 2 bedrooms, a wood-burning fireplace, and a complete kitchen with a dishwasher. Wi-Fi. Pet Friendly. Blue House on the Lake, 7451 24.75 Lane, Gladstone, MI 49838. Phone: 906-286-1787.
Resor t and Country Store
on Blue Lake, deep in
the Hiawatha National Forest. N251 Forest Hwy 13. Phone
906-573-2933. About 20 miles north of Nahma Junction and
35 miles northwest of Rapid River. 6 rental cabins. Open
year round. Cabins sleep from 3 to 6. Canoes and fishing
boats with cabins. On the snowmobile and ATV trails.
Fishing boat will be placed on any of the over 100 lakes
within 10 miles of the resort.
Resort, 14844 LL Road, Wetmore, MI 49895.
Phone (906) 573-2237 or 1-877-KENBUCK for reservations.
Kenbuck is a great sportsman's resort with 5 housekeeping
cabins. These secluded cabins are deep in the Hiawatha
National Forest, 100 lakes within 10 miles of the cabins,
outstanding fishing and hunting, real snowmobiling and
snowshoeing. Close to the Pine Marten Run, 10 miles north
- New Listing: George Potvin Knife Maker and Blacksmith, located at Ten Mile Creek Forge, Pottery, Lighting, and Irish/Celtic Gift Shop in Bark River, Michigan, offers completely handmade hunting knives with sheaths. George creates several patterns of Damascus, also utilizing titanium and other high carbon steel for blades. Classes, custom work, hand-scrimshaw, repairs and sharpening available. The Gift Shop offers a surprising array of creative and beautiful gifts, many created by 30 juried local artists and some from around the world. Choose from pottery, paintings, photography, stone lampshades, jewelry, glass items, local jams and maple syrup, plus much MORE. You will be pleasantly surprised visiting this very unique and beautiful Upper Peninsula Gallery and Shop! Ten Mile Creek Forge, Gallery, and Gift Shop, 1691 17th Road, Bark River, MI 49807. Phone: 906 466-2276
- New Listing: Upper Peninsula Golf and Lake Resort is located on the shores of Lake Michigan 35 miles west of Manistique and a few miles south of US-2. The Resort offers a 50 unit campground and modern cabins, all with water frontage. The new 9-Hole Eagles Nest Golf Course is a thrilling course with many challenging water holes. Convenience Store. Laundry Facilities. Great fishing, boating and swimming. Equipment rentals of boats, canoes, and bicycles for the public. 13723 Main Street. Nahma, MI 49864. Phone: 906-644-2728
- REAL ESTATE:
Wide Real Estate of Escanaba. Phone:
906-786-1308 or toll free: 800-900-0777. Experienced
professional realtors since 1958 offering residential,
acreage, vacant land, waterfront property on inland
lakes, streams, and little By de Noc, income property,
commercial, and recreational property in Delta County and
the surrounding area. Only office in Escanaba offering
Virtual tours. Need land? We offer exclusive corporate
land representation of thousands of acres of land for
sale. Sellers, our helpful professional staff will handle
all the details and assist you in selling your
Family Fun Park in Escanaba is a wonderful spot for the whole family to try out our fun activities. Drive a Go-Kart on our banked track or cool off on a Kamikaze Bumper Boat ride in our pool. We offer Adventure Golf with waterfalls and other hazards, Batting Cages for batting practice in a netted area with pitching machines, and Bank-Shot Basketball. Lots of fun for everyone. Open at noon during the summer months. Located just 2 blocks from Highways US-2 & US-41. Family Fun Park, 2929 3rd Ave. North, Escanaba, MI 49829. Phone: (906) 789-9386
Vine Winery has relocated to Menominee County in the southern Upper Peninsula. Wine made from grapes grown in the Upper Peninsula? Yes, right at the Threefold Vine Winery in Stephenson, Michigan. Our Tasting Room at the Winery offers grape (from our vineyard) apple, honey, and various fruit wines. The Green family invites you to visit our winery, see how the wine is produced, and sample our exciting new wines. The Winery and Tasting Room is located in the historic bank building at S232 Menominee Street, Stephenson, MI 49887, one block west of Highway US-41. Phone: 906-753-6000
The Village Artisans
of Garden is a delightful Art Gallery filled with
fine arts and crafts created by Upper Peninsula Artists.
Enjoy the beautiful paintings, photography, pottery,
weaving, jewelry, fabrics, metal creations, wood turning,
baskets, glass blowing, stained glass, home made jams,
interesting books, plus much more. The Garden Art Gallery is
open daily from Mid-May through September. Located between
Escanaba and Manistique, 8 miles south of US-2. Turn south
at Garden Corners on Highway M-183 to the town of Garden,
Michigan. Phone 906-644-202
Explore the Rapid River Michigan
area by Little Bay de Noc on Lake Michigan
- Fishing year round for trophy Walleye, Smallmouth
Bass, Northern Pike, Perch, Salmon, or Trout in Little or
Big Bay de Noc. Boat ramp in Rapid River and
- Fishing, canoeing, and kayaking on the Scenic
Whitefish River. Enjoy a spring (April or May) paddle
down the river when the water is at a higher level. View
Eagles, Blue Heron, and a variety of waterfowl. Put in
off Forest Road 2236 on the East or West Branch of the
Whitefish River. A paddle of about 4-6 hours.
- Hiking or horseback riding (bring your own horse)
on the Bay de Noc Grand Island Trail. Turn north on
CR-509, 2.5 miles east of Rapid River. Trail parallels
the east side of the Whitefish River and follows the path
of an ancient Indian portage route. No motorized
- Hunting the hundreds of acres of public land in
the Hiawath National Forest. Good bird hunting
- Mountain Bike on the 13 mile Rapid River Trail, 6
miles north of town on US-41.
- Visit Rapid River Falls, a small waterfall 7 miles
north of Rapid River on the west side of US-41.
- Golfing: Several championship courses in the
Escanaba area and a 9 hole course in Nahma by Big Bay de
Winter Activities in the
Gladstone and Rapid River area in Delta County
- Cross Country Skiing on the Rapid River Trails, 5
loops of groomed Nordic ski trails and 2 loops of skating
trails from beginner to advanced. 6 miles north of Rapid
River on the west side of US-41, or ski the trails at
Fayette State Park, and the Days River Pathway.
- Gladstone Sports Park with downhill skiing, cross
country skiing, and a tube run.
- Snowmobile on the over 2,500 miles of
interconnecting trails throughout the Upper Peninsula.
From Rapid River ride east past Nahma Junction and take
the trail north through the Hiawatha National Forest
towards Munising and the deep snow of Alger County.
Circle back or you can continue to Grand Marais for a
longer ride. Trails west follow the Felch Rail Trail with
trails leading north to Gwinn or west to Randville.
Longer rides take you to Marquette or on to Big Bay for
fun in the Huron Mountains. Have some fun in the snow and
return to your comfortable accommodations near Rapid
River for a great vacation.
Area Attractions in the
Escanaba, Gladstone, and Rapid River Area
- Peninsula Point Lighthouse
Tower and Park, Built in 1865 at the tip of
the Stonington Peninsula. Take CR-513 south from US-2, 19
miles to the parking lot. Spectacular view of Lake
Michigan with the Minneapolis Shoal Light in the
distance. Tower open for climbing and a nice picnic
Point Lighthouse and Museum in Ludington Park,
Escanaba, MI. Open June through September. Mary Terry,
one of the first women Lighthouse Keepers on the Great
Lakes, kept this light from 1868 to 1886.
(1915) on the end of the breakwater at
the Manistique Harbor. Can be viewed from the
Choix Lighthouse and Museum in Gulliver, known
locally as the Haunted Lighthouse. Open Take CR-432 south
to the Lighthouse. Open Memorial Day Weekend through
State Park and Historic Village, Garden
Peninsula. Take CR-183 south from US-2. Once the site of
Upper Peninsula's most productive iron-smelting operations.
20 structures remain. Visitor Center, exhibits, and walking
tours of the park.
Springs, Kitch-iti-Kipi, Michigan's largest
spring in Palms Book State Park on Indian Lake. Ride the
self-propelled raft to view the spring. At Thompson, take
M-149 north for 12 miles to the park.
Visit the Rapid
River Michigan Area for your Upper Peninsula
Upper Peninsula Towns and Cities
Upper Peninsula Lodging
Peninsula Traveler Home Page
Copyright 2004 by Char Simons,
webmaster. All Rights Reserved. Except as permitted under
the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended, this web site may not
be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner. Unless
authorized by the webmaster, reproduction of any picture,
web page or pages on this website,
www.exploringthenorth.com, for placement on the internet is
a copyright infringement. All right, title and interest in
and to the material on these web pages, the web site, in
whole or in part, and in and to this url and the urls
contained within, is the property of the webmaster. All
website design, text, graphics, selection and arrangement
thereof are the copyrighted works of Char Simons. Web site
created on an Apple G-4, 2/04
Lodging accommodations motels, cabins,
cottages, lodges, vacation homes, Art Galleries, and real
estate in Delta County, MI near Lake Michigan in the Upper
Peninsula of Mighigan. Travel and vacation information.
Fishing, golfing, hunting, hiking, canoeing, snowmobiling,
skiing, shopping, and sightseeing near Escanaba, MI,
Gladstone, MI, and Rapid River, MI.