Upper Peninsula of MI
Some are large, some small, some
public, some private,
but all these campgrounds are waiting
in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Campgrounds are listed by
Parks in the Upper Peninsula
(between Calumet and Eagle River in the Keweenaw
- Sunset Bay RV
Resort, Campground, and Cabins on the shores
of Lake Superior, 7 miles north of Ahmeek on Five Mile
Point Road or 7 miles south of Eagle River, MI in the
Keweenaw Peninsula. 40 sites with electric & water
hook-ups, bath houses, laundry, ice, and a dump station.
Three rental log cabins with one or two bedrooms,
fireplaces and full kitchens. 2701 Sunset Bay Beach Road.
Ahmeek, MI 49901. Phone:
906-337-2494 (summer): 941-232-4832 (winter).
(10 miles west of
Munising) & the Hiawatha National Forest
- AuTrain Lake Rustic Campground in the Hiawatha National
Forest, 4 miles south of AuTrain on FR-H-03 and east on
FR 2276. Rustic campground with 37 large wooded sites on
the lake with a sand swimming beach, boat ramp, picnic
tables, and fire pit. Vault toilets and water. No
reservations: first-come, first-served. Put your canoe in
at the campground for a wonderful paddle across the lake
and down the AuTrain River to Lake Superior. Hike along
the Songbird Trail that begins at campsite 11. Pick up
your Songbird Trail kit from the Campgroud Host and enjoy
your hike while you learn the birds by their song. Beach,
picnic tables, and the Songbird Trail are for everyone to
Lake Campground is located on Otter Lake in
the Hiawatha National Forest just southwest of Munising
near Buckhorn Road. 70 sites with electric service,
modern bathrooms with hot showers, and a guest laundry.
Group sites & seasonal sites available. Sandy beach
for wading. Row boats and paddle boats. Nature Trail.
Only minutes from Munising, the Pictured Rocks, Grand
Island, and numerous waterfalls. On the ORV trails. Pets
Welcome. Open May through November. E 7609 Otter Lake
Road, Munising, MI 49862 Reservations: (906) 553-4921,
Campground Office: (906) 387-4648.
- Ojibwa Campground and Marina is located on the shoreline of Keweenaw Bay by Highway US-41 on the north side of Baraga. The campground offers wooded and lakefront sites with electricity, water, a picnic table, and fire pit. There are restrooms with showers, RV dump station, a playground, and a pavilion for events. Sandy swimming beach. The Marina offers rental slips and a boat launch for great fishing or boating on Keweenaw Bay of Lake Superior. The nearby Historic Sand Point Lighthouse is not open but you can walk on the grounds. Ojibwa Recreation Area, 101 Lighthouse Road, Baraga, MI. Phone: 906-353-6955 or 906-201-4174
(23 miles north of Marquette)
- Perkins Park,
Big Bay, MI 49898, phone (906) 345-9353. Campground owned
and operated by Marquette County. 72 campsites, 30 with
full hook-ups, 9 electric only, and 33 with no hook-up.
Special rates for a 5 night stay. Restrooms, showers
(handicap accessible), boat launch, fishing pier,
swimming beach, playground, picnic area, dump station.
Grocery store, gas station, restaurant and bait shop
within walking distance. Pets must be on a leash. Call
for reservations. Open mid-May to mid-September.
Cedarville, MI (Eastern Upper Peninsula on Lake Huron)
RV CAMPING now available at Hills Point Resort on Lake Huron. One site with full hookup and Cable TV.
(3 miles west of Munising on
M-28) See Munising for a list of the campgrounds in Christmas.)
- Fort Wilkins
State Park. 906/289-4215. Campground has 165
sites, electricity, flush toilets, showers, boat launch
and sanitation station. Part of the Fort Wilkins Historic
Complex, a well-preserved nineteenth-century military
post and lighthouse complex. Park Store, Book Store, full
concession stand with food and souvenirs.
Area (Including Germfask, Gould City,
and the Seney Refuge).
Recreation Area. Campground with 47 modern
& rustic campsites and 4 cabins. Bar and Grill serves lunch and dinner. Ponds in the shape
of the Great Lakes. Everyone welcome. Showers &
laundry facilities in the Community Building. Large
Pavilion with a fireplace and grill. Cabins are open year round for
snowmobiling. On the trails.
60 miles west of the Mackinac Bridge on US-2 in the Gould
City-Curtis area. W17838 US-2, Gould City, MI.
DeTour Village and Drummond Island
(by the St. Mary's River in the Eastern Upper
- Fort Drummond Marine and Resort on Whitney Bay, Drummond Island, MI offers 3 rental cabins, 2 vacation homes, one on a private island, and a campground for enjoying beautiful Drummond Island. Pets Welcome. Campground offers sites for tents, campers and RVs with electric available. Daily and weekly rates. Shower House. Pontoon, kayak, boat, and motor rentals. Only 1 hour from the Mackinac Bridge. Ferry runs hourly from 6 am to 11pm with 2 night trips. Fort Drummond Marine and Resort on Whitney Bay, 36183 S. Whitney Bay Road, Drummond Island, MI 49726. Phone: 906-493-5359 or 906-493-5471
(Dickinson County, Central Upper
& Florence, WI, 7 miles west on Highway US-2.)
- Keyes Lake Campground and Mini-Golf is located 3 ½ miles South of Florence on Hwy 101. Walk across the street to Keyes Lake, offering a boat launch, swimming beach, and picnic area. Bordering the campground is Keyes Lake Ski Hill. We offer beautiful wooded sites, sleeping cabins, camper rental, and restrooms with showers year round. ATV and snowmobile access from you site to 100s of trails and routes. We are centrally located near 5 casinos. Keyes Lake Campground is your relaxing vacation destination in the north woods. N4918 Hwy 101, Florence, WI 54121. Phone: 715-528-4907
National Forest, Pitch a tent or park a camper
for a modest fee in one of the developed campgrounds in
the Nicolet. All campgrounds are located on lakes or
streams and have drinking water, vault toilets, picnic
tables, and grills or fire rings. The Nicolet has 23
campgrounds with 460 camp sites.
Breeze Campground, 4 miles north of Iron
Mountain in the central Upper Peninsula Phone:
906-774-7701. Heated swimming pool. 70 shady sites
including full hook-ups, electric and water campsites,
and tent sites. Dump station, hot showers, camp store,
playground, and laundry room. Wireless internet access
and dial-up. W8576
Twin Falls Road, Iron Mountain, MI 49801. Pets welcome.
- Fayette State
Park, 906-644-2603. Visit the historic
townsite of Fayette while you camp, hike, fish, scuba
dive and boat. Snail Shell Harbor will hold large
pleasure boats. 80 semi-modern campsites. Facilities
include pit toilets, water, electrical hookups for each
site. Most campsites are well shaded. There's no problem
with insects, making the camping experience more
enjoyable. Reservations can be made for campsites. Boat
camping is allowed in Snail Shell Harbor. Space is
first-come first-serve basis. Lake Michigan
- Indian Lake
State Park, 906-341-2355. camping, swimming
and fishing, close to Big Spring attraction, outside of
Manistique. 88 miles from the bridge. The the fourth
largest inland lake in the Upper Peninsula with an area
of 8,400 acres. The park is composed of two units which
are 3 miles apart and separated by the waters of Indian
Lake. The south shore offers lakeshore camping while the
west shore offers more secluded and sheltered campsites
but they are 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the lake. 2 Mini-Cabins
- Jack Pine Lodge, Resort, and Campground is located 20 minutes northwest of Manistique in the Hiawatha National Forest. Campground offers 27 sites with electric and water hook-ups, new shower house, and designated horse sites. Six 1-3 bedroom cabins. Wi-Fi. On the ORV and Snowmobile trail. Gas available. Restaurant and Lounge open daily at noon. Jack Pine Lodge, 5350N State HWY M-94, Manistique, MI 49854. Phone: (906) 573-2414
Area Including Ishpeming,
Negaunee, and Republic
- New Listing: Northern Lights Campground recently opened on the south side of Republic, MI in a natural area near the banks of the Michigamme River and School Lake. There are 11 RV sites with water and electric service and 12 sites with water available for tent camping. Some sites are handicap accessible. Sites have fire pits and a picnic table. Vault toilets. RV dump station. Located on Park City Road near the south entrance to the Iron Ore Heritage Trail. Daily, weekly, and monthly rates. Contact the Republic Township Hall at 906-376-8827 for reservations
Coyote RV Park & Campground is located 1 mile west of US-41 near Stephenson, MI, or 21 miles north of Menominee in the south central Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 50 spacious sites on 40 acres in the scenic countryside. Nightly, monthly, and seasonal rates. Recreation Room with complete kitchen. Shower house, pavilion, & playground. 3-bedroom rental cottage. Pets welcome. Special Fun Events. W6182 County Road G-12, Stephenson, MI 49887. Phone: 906-753-4946.
- Michigamme and Republic, Michigan (Marquette County) in the North Central Upper Peninsula
- Michigamme Shores Campground is located on the shores of Lake Michigamme and offers pull through, full hookup, tent sites, and camping cabins. Modern restrooms shower, and laundry facilities. Well stocked camp store. Nice sandy beach for swimming. Great fishing. Basketball, beach volleyball, tennis courts with rental equipment available. Boat, canoe, and kayak rentals. Wi-Fi. Pets Welcome. Michigamme Shores Campground, Highway 41W 64 Purple Road, Michigamme, MI 49814. Phone: 906- 339-2116.
- Northern Lights Campground recently opened on the south side of Republic, MI in a natural area near the banks of the Michigamme River and School Lake. There are 11 RV sites with water and electric service and 12 sites with water available for tent camping. Some sites are handicap accessible. Sites have fire pits and a picnic table. Vault toilets. RV dump station. Located on Park City Road near the south entrance to the Iron Ore Heritage Trail. Daily, weekly, and monthly rates. Contact the Republic Township Hall at 906-376-8827 for reservations.
Munising, AuTrain, and Christmas, MI (3 miles west of Munising on M-28)
- Catchin' Crickets Campground is located 10 minutes east of Munising in a wooded area. The campground offers 25 rustic sites with a picnic table, fire ring, and a gravel pad on each site. New clean privy. Pet friendly. The Pictured Rocks, many waterfalls, and cruises on Lake Superior are only minutes away. Many nearby inland lakes for fishing, swimming, and boating. Phone: 906-573-2125
Island, one half mile off of Munising MI in
Lake Superior. Ferry service available. A perfect spot
for wilderness camping, mountain biking, hiking, fishing,
skiing and snowmobiling. Camping opportunities range from
random camping at undeveloped sites to primitive camping
at designated sites along Murray Bay and Trout Bay.
National Recreation Area. For further information contact
Hiawatha National Forest Visitor Center, Munising Ranger
District, Route 2 Box 400, Munising, Ml 49862. Phone
(906) 387-3700. National Recreation Area.
- Jack Pine Lodge, Resort, and Campground is located 25 minutes southeast of Munising in the Hiawatha National Forest. Campground offers 27 sites with electric and water hook-ups, new shower house, and designated horse sites. Six 1-3 bedroom cabins. Wi-Fi. On the ORV and Snowmobile trail. Gas available. Restaurant and Lounge open daily at noon. Jack Pine Lodge, 5350N State HWY M-94, Manistique, MI 49854. Phone: (906) 573-2414
- Paddlers Village, located on the shores of Lake Superior 3 miles west of Munising, offers rentals of 16' & 20' Yurts, Camping Cabins, and Platform Tents with electric lighting and small refrigerators. The ideal spot for kayakers, canoeists, paddle boarders, hikers, and outdoor lovers. Showers, restrooms, grills, picnic tables, and fire rings. 1/3 mils of sandy beach is adjacent to the Village for all to enjoy. Reservations required. Paddlers Village. N7793 Scrooges Alley, Christmas, MI. Phone: 877-228-5447
- Rustic Hiawatha National Forest Campgrounds are
located on AuTrain Lake, by Lake Superior in Christmas,
and in the National Forest south of Munising.
Wheels Campground. This 440 acre wooded and
landscaped park offers you the finest surroundings for a
fun filled family vacation. Heated Outdoor Pool. Cable
TV. Only 5 miles from Lake Superior, Pictured Rocks,
Miners Castle, Grand Island, Valley Spur Trails,
waterfalls, and various lakeside activities. Great
facilities. Pets Welcome. Located 3 miles east of
Munising on Highway M-28 East, Munising MI 49862. Phone
1-906-387-3315 or 1-906-387-1580.
Ontonagon & Silver City
(Western Upper Peninsula by Lake Superior and the
- River Road RV Park, Campground, and Bunkhouse. 600 River Road, Ontonagon, MI 49953. Phone: 906-884-4600. Year Round camping by the Ontonagon River. 30 full hookups, pull through sites, and tent sites. Wi-Fi. Shower Room (handicap accessible) with hot showers and heated floor, Dump station, Laundry Room, Playground, and a Bunk House that sleeps up to 8 guests “dorm style”. Lake Superior water access. Located only 15 minutes from the Porcupine Mountains State Park. Many ATV, ORV, Multiuse, snowmobile, and Equestrian trails in the County. Pets Welcome (Horses can be accommodated.)
- Union River Campground is located on the Union River at the eastern edge of the Porcupine Mountains. 42 wooded sites with water and electric and 8 large pull-through sites. Modern shower house. 15 miles west of Ontonagon. Lake Superior sand beach across the road. Union River Campground, 35653 State Highway M107. Phone: 906-869-2635
Ottawa National Forest in the Western Upper Peninsula. Rustic campgrounds with beautiful spacious wooded campsites.
Paradise & Newberry
Paulding, Watersmeet, & Bruce
Crossing MI (West Central Upper
4593 Old US 45 South, Paulding, MI 49912. Phone:
906-827-3208. RV sites with water and electric (30 amp)
hook-ups. (RV's need to be self-contained, outhouse
available) Located 8 miles north of Watersmeet on Highway
US-45 or 10 miles south of Bruce Crossing by the Ottawa
National Forest and just a short drive to the Sylvania
Wilderness, Bond Falls Flowage, Lake Superior, and the
Porcupine Mountains. Visit Bond Falls and the mysterious
Paulding Light. Easy access to ATV and snowmobile trails.
Pets Welcome. New owners
near the Seney
National Wildlife Refuge. 90 miles northwest of
- There are two rustic State Forest Campgrounds on the Manistique River: Mead Creek and Merwin Creek. Perfect for paddlers on the Manistique River.
- Seney Township Park on the
Fox River, about 2 miles northwest of Seney
on CR-450. Electricity furnished by meter. Hand pump for
water. Firewood provided. Fox River Pathway starts a few
feet north of the campground.
Stephenson, MI (south central Upper Peninsula)
Coyote RV Park & Campground is located 1 mile west of US-41, near Stephenson, MI, or 21 miles north of Menominee in the south central Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 50 spacious sites on 40 acres in the scenic countryside. Nightly, monthly, and seasonal rates. Recreation Room with complete kitchen. Shower house, pavilion, & playground. 3-bedroom rental cottage. Pets welcome. Special Fun Events open to the public. W6182 County Road G-12, Stephenson, MI 49887. Phone: 906-753-4946.
- Tahquamenon Falls
Park. Phone # (906) 492-3415. Fax # (906) 492-3590. For camping
reservations, call 1-800-543-2937. Between Newberry and Paradise,
MI. The park encompasses close to 40,000 acres stretching
over 13 miles. Most of this is undeveloped woodland without
roads, buildings or power lines. The Upper Falls is one of
the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi. It has a
drop of nearly 50 feet and is more than 200 feet across.
At Tahquamenon, two campgrounds are available within the park; Modern campgrounds are at the Lower Falls plus there are modern campgrounds located at the Rivermouth. Campground has approximately 90 sites and each site is
equipped with electricity, a ground fire ring and table.
Other features of the modern campgrounds are warm showers
and flush toilets. Sanitation stations are available at the
Lower Falls and Rivermouth Units. There is not a campground
at the Upper Falls. Camping and fishing supplies available
just north of the entrance to the Lower Falls. Open for
Rustic camping is
available near Tahquamenon Falls State Park in
the Lake Superior State Forest north of Newberry and in the
Hiawatha National Forest.
Lake, MI (Eastern
- Trout Lake Township Park
offers a boat launch, camp sites, picnic
areas, a ball diamond and ATV trails. The park has 83
camp sites, 60 with electric, a few right on the
lakefront. Camping area has a shower house, dump station,
and bathrooms. Open May 15 to Oct 15. No electricity or
water after October 15th. Phone 906-569-3299.
Watersmeet, MI (Western Upper Peninsula)
North Shore Campground is located on Lake Lac Vieux Desert near the border between Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The campground offers 42 sites with electric and water hook-ups in a wooded area by the lake. Sand bottomed beach with docks for your boat. Modern shower house. Wi-Fi. Laundromat. Camp Store. 3-bedroom cabin for rent. Pets Welcome. North Shore Campground, E248885 Misery Bay Road, Land O' Lakes, WI 54540. Phone: 906-544-2188
Parks in the Upper Peninsula. For
Reservations, call 1-800-44-PARKS. Uncrowded forest
campgrounds at out of the way locations are a mainstay of
the Upper Peninsula State Park system. Some of the parks are
busy during holidays, so you should always call for
A great part of the Upper Peninsula consists of
national and state forests. There are camping spots
throughout the forests. Stop at the first Michigan
Department of Natural Resources (DNR) office you see for
information. Also stop at the local Ranger District Office
for the Hiawatha (east-central U.P.) and Ottawa National
Forests. (west U.P.)
the Upper Peninsula
Back to Upper Peninsula
Back to Home Page: Exploring
Registered Copyright 2001, by Vivian
webmaster. All Rights Reserved.
Except as permitted under the Copyright Act of 1976, as
amended, this web site may not be reproduced in whole or in
part in any manner. Unless authorized by the webmaster,
reproduction of any picture, web page or pages on this
website, www.exploringthenorth.com, for placement on the
internet is a copyright infringement. All right, title and
interest in and to the material on these web pages, the web
site, in whole or in part, and in and to this url and the
urls contained within, is the property of the webmaster. All
website design, text, graphics, selection and arrangement
thereof are the copyrighted works of Vivian Wood. Web site
created on an Apple G-4.